TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. These Terms & Conditions apply to any work produced for you (the client) by me (the supplier).
2. You are under no obligation to offer me work, nor am I under any obligation to accept work offered by you.
3. I will provide services as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by you.
4. The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by me, using my own equipment.
5. I confirm that I am self-employed and responsible for my own financial affairs; I will not claim benefits granted to your employees.
6. If required, I agree to attend your premises or a mutually agreed location for necessary meetings; the time spent and agreed reasonable expenses incurred to be reimbursed by you.
7. You will reimburse me for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work.
8. You will pay me a fee per hour or per printed page or at an agreed fixed fee for the job – whichever I deem appropriate.
9. I reserve the right to charge a higher fee for urgently-requested, unscheduled work.
10. The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, at the agreed fee, based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by you.
11. If, however, on receipt of the item(s) to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the initial discussion/brief, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
12. Similarly, if, during the term of my work for you, additional tasks are requested by you, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
13. If work is provided to me late, there may be a change to the agreed timescales, due to other work that I have already scheduled in. Should there be a substantial change to agreed timescales, I reserve the right to reject the project, again because I may have other projects already scheduled in.
14. If the duration of a project covers a period of weeks or months, I may invoice in stages, as agreed between you and me.
15. I accept payment by BACS or PayPal.
16. I am not VAT-registered.
17. Any content created by me as part of the proofreading or copy-editing process will become your copyright, unless otherwise agreed.
18. Throughout the process, the nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than you and your contractors without prior written permission.
19. Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, payment is to be made within 30 days of receipt of my invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
20. Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, you and I may keep on record such information (e.g. contact details) as is necessary. Either may view the other's records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
21. Either you or I have the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
22. I reserve the right to decline work if I do not feel comfortable with its content or ethos – for example, that which in my opinion contains or endorses apparent themes of violence or cruelty, or sexual, racial or religious prejudice, exploitation or manipulation.
23. If I have made a substantial contribution to a physical design, marketing or music project, I may enquire about receiving a file copy.
24. I may use your name and/or your company's name in my promotional material, unless you specify otherwise.
25. In proofreading documents you provide to me, the aim is to remove any errors present, using my diligence, experience and the full employment of my skills. However, there remains the possibility, albeit slight, that errors may be present in your final document(s). This is due to the probability of human error which, in any walk of life, can never be completely eradicated. By ordering my services, you acknowledge that proofreading is a subjective process and that I am capable of creating or missing errors.
26. You accept full responsibility for the use of any version of your proofread material for any purpose.
27. This website may contain links to third party websites or services that are not owned or controlled by me. I have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party websites or services. I am not responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such websites or services.
28. I reserve the right to change, edit or delete this website's content, or to suspend its visibility.
29. When providing you with a quotation, I draw your attention to these Terms & Conditions. Your decision to place work with me therefore confirms your acceptance of these Terms & Conditions.
30. This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both you and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.